Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Temperature Game!


      In this game, I was able to learn a lot about temperature and what happens at certain temperatures.  The object of this game was to match all the different items or subjects (such as "body temperature" or "Saturn") to the correct temperature.  You could complete this game using Celsius, Fahrenheit, or Kelvin.  At first, I chose Celsius.  During this game, I learned that Antartica was approximately 20 degrees colder than Mars!  I was extremely surprised since I thought that it would be the opposite.  When I looked at the Fahrenheit section, I was amazed that Death Valley was 134 degrees!  It's no surprise it's called Death Valley.  I already knew that boiling point was 100 degrees Celsius and freezing point was zero but I didn't know that boiling point in Fahrenheit was 212 degrees.  The coldest was superfluid helium at -271 degrees Celsius or -455.76 degrees Fahrenheit.  That certainly is cold!  However, the most intriguing part of this game was learning about Kelvin.  We all know about Fahrenheit, which is used mostly only in America, and Celsius, used by almost everyone everyone else in the world, but for me, Kelvin is something new.  I had no idea it even existed before now!  The Kelvin scale is an "international standard for scientific measurement of temperature" and has zero set at absolute zero.  Absolute zero is the theoretical absolute coldest temperature there can be.  To get this, the molecules and atoms of the subject must not be moving at all.  It's not realistically possible to achieve this.  However, scientists have come very close using lasers.  As you can see, this game, although a game, gave me a handful of interesting, new information to learn about and was extremely enjoyable.  


The game I played can be found here.  The picture I used is here.


~ Starflower794!

No comments:

Post a Comment